Grid Independence

The grid lights early evening. But what if it failed? Or what if it became chronically unreliable, as is the norm in some parts of the world?


I ordered solar panels for my house. The installation dates are in early December, so we will hope for favorable weather. I'll feel relieved after they are installed. I ordered a battery system with them so I can have grid-independent electricity in the event of an area failure. I could also buy a gasoline or diesel generator, but in that case I would be dependent on the fuel supply chain (though I may buy one anyway for redundancy). If I get an electric vehicle, I will also have petroleum-independent transportation as well as battery backup.

It amazes me so many people are hostile to solar panels. I think they have been exposed to fossil fuel industry sponsored commentary. Capability of living off the grid is basic self-reliance. Granted, it is expensive. People have asked me if the solar panels and battery will pay for themselves. Since I had to finance, that's a bit of a question mark, but any deficit seems worth it to me. I'm purchasing independence from the grid.

I hope to never need to be completely self-reliant for a long period of time, but the recent election shows that the electorate still has not solved the riddle of political stability. Political instability often exists in a negative feedback loop with other types of instability. I think we continue our slide into the abyss.

Comments

Popular Posts