Songwriting

 

My cramped, cluttered, dusty, "music studio." Jasmine by Takamine, Yamaha, Moog, Squier, GarageBand, and a Fender practice amp. And a cat. Yes, I know I have too much stuff and need to get rid of things.

I've tried to write songs since I was a teenager, which was a long time ago. Every couple or three years I would pull dusty instruments out of the corner and try playing. I eventually composed a few instrumentals but struggled with words. I can find good melodies within me but it's very difficult to write good lyrics.

I think I have finally succeeded in writing a complete song. And what's more - I like it. It is likely a country song. The basic musical phrase for the verses came to me in a dream. I was walking around outdoors with this woman I know only from Instagram, and there was music in the background. It was the voice of Kenny Chesney, but I could not make out the lyrics. The music was indistinct and the scenario was like that of a childhood memory. We went to the Indiana State Fair with my Aunt Patty, and we were walking down the midway behind the grandstand and could hear the echoing sound system. You could hear the music but you couldn't make out the words.

I remembered it when I woke up and recorded it. It's been a process of a couple of years to compose lyrics that I think are acceptable. Still, I found myself singing the melody on countless mornings in the shower. The next thing is to create a rough recording. After that I'm unsure about the process. I think the song needs published and then can be pitched. I'm practicing guitar and singing. I can get my guitar chops back, but the main problem is that I can't sing. I also do not currently have a good microphone. I may end up trying to find somebody to record the vocal track. It might be worth paying a college kid a few bucks.

Comments

Popular Posts