Super Bowl Advertisements, Cincinnati, etc

 

By Johann Schwarz from Gumpoldskirchen - TryoutÖJNT_2 (217) archive copy, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74384451

From social media I can tell some of my friends and acquaintances still watch the Super Bowl as much to watch the TV commercial advertisements as for the game, maybe more. I can remember when I was a kid I looked forward to the ads, but now it seems silly and gullible (hey, I'm opinionated in case you haven't noticed). When you watch commercials you are exposing yourself to marketing techniques based upon human psychology. Why do that? Yes, some of them are thoroughly entertaining, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see them.

As for the game, I slightly favored the Rams and therefore enjoyed the outcome. It's just that Matthew Stafford was stuck in Detroit for so many years, and I always thought he was capable of winning a Super Bowl if he played for a franchise that solved the riddle. Good for him. I don't specifically hate the Bengals or anything, nor do I love Los Angeles, but I've been to or through Cincinnati a few times, and it's an inexplicably grimy, unattractive city. Of course it isn't all bad, but it epitomizes the rust belt and is hard to love.

I upheld my annual tradition of cooking homemade onion rings instead of watching the halftime show (I hate most halftime shows) but they didn't turn out as well as usual. I was impatient and didn't wait for them to get crispy enough. Live and learn. Same thing for the Bengals.

Comments

Popular Posts