Megasnow Again

 

Snow Joe electric snowblower. Back in the 80s electric snowblowers were weak, but the modern ones will move pretty deep snow, as long as you don't abuse them.

Current situation: deep enough to break out the snowblower. I normally just manually push less deep snow with a Manplow brand blade. I've kind of struggled with the snowblower in the past, but I think I've figured out how to use it without getting it clogged or overheated. The good thing about it is that since it is electric, it is:

a.) lighter than a gasoline powered snowblower

b.) does not require small engine maintenance

c.) does not require noxious, smelly petroleum products

My neighbor had a battery-powered version and he wore it out in a single year, but I think I know why. He wasn't using it correctly. You can't force it into the snow. This overburdens motor, belt, and the rest of the system. You just have to let it eat the snow and make sure the snow is clearing out of the "spout/chute" before pushing forward. If you use it correctly, it's MUCH easier than shoveling. Mine is a plug-in model. I could've afforded the battery powered Snow Joe but I didn't want to worry about replacing batteries.

I'm not sure how much snow we've gotten here, but the snowblower supposedly can eat 11 inches and it was already nearly overwhelmed this morning, and it snowed all day after my first run. I think there was at least another 4 to 6 inches at the end of the day.

I'm ready for spring.

Comments

Popular Posts