Fall Colors 2021

 

The aspen trees were great last weekend on the north slopes of the San Francisco Peaks. I was on call and I get nervous driving this far from town but couldn't resist. Anyway, I had a laptop with me and got up to 4 bars of LTE there.

I enjoy looking at the changed leaves every year. I fret at the necessity to hit a particular window of time. It's like I'm afraid I'm going to miss it. Yet I also dread the crowds and the uncertainty of finding the best colors. This is compounded by the change in elevation around the region. It's a guessing game as to which place to visit. I found some good leaves two weekends in a row now, so I'm going ahead with planning some desert hikes.



Zoomed image of the small aspens in the burn scar on the slopes of Kendrick Peak. The mountain looks short here because the base elevation is high. It's over 10,000 ft. above sea level.

One of my neighbor's maple trees. Yes, it's probably non-native to Flagstaff, but it's beautiful!


Comments

Popular Posts