Brutalist Architecture


Brutalism at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in Texas. I'm unsure of the purpose of the tower. It appears to be a sign, but look how small the logos are. I'm sure it's almost completely tornado-proof but its aesthetic blandness overwhelms.


This entry echoes my previous entry regarding mid-century modern design. For any artistic movement, there are good examples and poor examples, but some trends are inferior on the balance, and I'm not a fan of much post-war architecture. I would include Brutalism in the list.

I traveled by air recently and there is practically no place better than an airport to see Brutalist architecture. To a certain extent, Brutalism is a necessary outcome of efficient use of concrete. Yet it also seems to have been selected for use in some locations. I don't feel any attraction to it, and I don't understand its widespread use.

Unfortunately, like mid-century modern, Brutalism has become a favorite of the hipsters in the Millennial and post-Millennial (Generation Z) demographics. I personally think this is fashionable nostalgia for eras in which they didn't live, because otherwise it's inexplicable. The movement is aptly named. Brutalism is ugly. It brutalizes the senses.

Comments

Popular Posts