Insomnia

Rare night snow at my old house in Ringgold, Georgia, 2008 . . . and a wave of memories washes over me.


Basically, I never get a good night's sleep. I've been that way since about puberty, and it is so rare for me to sleep well that I can't imagine life where I wake up every day feeling rested and refreshed. I have no idea why I'm that way. I use caffeine, but these days only in relatively moderate amounts. I've had a couple of dentists tell me they suspect I have a sleep disorder, but I decided not to pursue that. Apparently you can tell by looking at someone's teeth.

The problem with going to doctors is that they try to doctor you, and inevitably there are side effects or inconveniences that seem equal or worse than the original issue. This is one of those situations. They have a solution for sleep apnea, if that's what it is, but I don't like the looks of it.

I don't want to have to spend every night hooked up to a steampunk device, have to clean it all the time, have to not move around the bed as much as I'm accustomed to. I can't say I'm a great patient.

Comments

Popular Posts