Bad Patient


I think this is from somewhere in the Cohutta Mountains in 2010, in Georgia or Tennessee. It has nothing to do with the rest of this post but I wish I was in a beautiful place like this right now, instead of stuck in the house.


I had to go for a COVID test last weekend. It turned out to be self-administered. You park in a designated parking place and they come out to your car. They expect you to swab your own tonsils.

How am I supposed to swab my own tonsils with no more than a small car mirror? No wonder the COVID tests have generally had high rates of false negatives. I understand administering such a test is risky to the healthcare workers because swabbing tonsils causes a gag reflex, but it seems like bad medical science to expect a patient to self-administer correctly. The test came back negative, but I'm not sure I'm 100% confident in that result.

 I hate being sick and I'm not a good patient. I'm grouchy and resentful. I do not take well to being stuck indoors. I'm disappointed to not be able to go running or bicycling. The sooner this is over with, the better.

Comments

Popular Posts