Cooking in the morning: breakfast casserole of my own improvisation.
diced russet potatoes
fresh ground black pepper
shredded "mexican cheese" (cheddar, monterey jack, quest quesadilla, asadero)
- Rice steamed in advance and set aside
- Potatoes pan fried to near done in advance
- Mushrooms and onions sautéed together in advance
- Ground beef browned in advance with salt, pepper, light Cayenne powder, and a dash of Worcestershire
- Everything added together with more salt and fresh ground pepper
- Eggs whipped and poured on and stir
- Oven preheated 350 degrees F - bake about 45 minutes
- About 1/2 tablespoon of butter put on top and cheese sprinkled on ~5 minutes before the end
The rice was an experiment that I couldn't say entirely paid off. It broke down and contributed to what I will describe as a cake-like consistency similar to a frittata or quiche. Of course, that isn't entirely a bad thing but not what I was looking for. Perhaps it need not have been pre-steamed all the way.
Hiking this afternoon with the lady at Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Area.
Afterwords I had to go into the office and pick up some computer equipment for working from home. I even loaded my ergonomic desk chair into the car. It was weird in there. Somehow you can tell that nobody has been in there for more than a few minutes for several weeks. I'll set it all up when I go back to work on Tuesday. Yes, I'm taking a long weekend. They have asked us to use PTO every pay period to help the company financially but my morale has been lagging anyway due to loneliness. I was already planning to take a day off. Hospitals that are hard hit by COVID-19 are struggling right now, and we are being hit harder than any other hospital in Arizona. It's a humanitarian tragedy but we are doing what we can.