Cabin Fever

 

Cat for scale.

We got about 3 feet of snow last week. I've been lifting weights regularly over the last few months so I didn't get sore from snow removal until the end of the second day. When it snows that much you have to remove it incrementally or it gets too deep to use the snowblower on it. But you still end up shoveling some regardless.

The Verde River at Rockin' River Ranch State Park.

It also gave me and the cats "cabin fever." Once the weather cleared I went down to the Verde River valley for a lovely hike at Arizona's newest state park: Rockin' River Ranch State Park. It's so new that much of still looks like grazing pasture. The elevation there is about 3000 ft above sea level so it is free of snow. It features access to the river, scenic cliffs, and views of the broad Verde Valley. This time of year the mountains of the Mogollon Rim and the Black Hills are snow capped. It was perfect! But the cats were stuck in the house.

I mentioned before how I enjoy the newsletter and blogging of the author and screenwriter Warren Ellis. He uses a format on his blog to record what he's doing at a particular time, mostly for his own future reference. In the spirit of this blog being as much a journal for myself as for anyone else to read, I copy that format here.

ON DECK: a major software upgrade for work
INBOX: 13
OPERATIONS: I'm having flooring parts delivered today. The carpet in my bedrooms will be replaced with laminate in a couple of weeks. The rest of the house already has either laminate or tile.
LISTENING: Usher's halftime show at the Super Bowl

LAST WATCHED: The Super Bowl 
CONDITION: Didn't drink too much considering it was the Super Bowl but nonetheless woke up after midnight and didn't get enough sleep.
THINKING ABOUT: Spring. It can snow as late as May in Flagstaff but warm weather should arrive in about a month.
OUTSIDE: Nothing until next weekend but I will probably ride my bicycle trainer in the garage at least one day this week.

SHIPPING FORECAST: We get a break from snow for the next week. Yay!

Comments

Popular Posts