Shoulder Asymmetry

 

Not looking my best this morning but you can easily see one of my shoulders is smaller than the other. It is also lower but that is a consequence of mild scoliosis I've had since childhood. Generally I haven't been working out other than the PT for the left shoulder (note the mirror reverses the image).

I've been working out according to the assignments of the physical therapists and assistants. I still can't quite do as much as they have assigned but I do what I can. The funny thing is since the therapy focuses on the injury, now my supposedly "weak" left shoulder is much larger than my right. It's normally a little bit larger due to scoliosis but not to the degree you see above. And I am right handed. This is unacceptable.

I started using dumbbells on my right side again. Since the injury I haven't done a normal workout for at least 6 or 7 weeks now. It seems obvious that I should do the same routine on my right shoulder that I do on my left shoulder, but I kind of hate the exercises. They are relatively light and not intuitive (as usual with physical therapy). Eventually the rubber theraband always snaps. I've broken a few over the years. One time I ended up with a red mark on my face from the snap-back.

I still hope to avoid surgery but the pain continues despite improved strength. I can handle a sling but I don't want to be in a restrictive shoulder cast.

Comments

Popular Posts