Mid-Century Modern

This ugly thing.
Photo By George Nelson - Brooklyn Museum, No restrictions, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33497765


I grew up in a world of mid-century modern furniture design, albeit near the end of the period. I liked it ok when I was a kid but I don't see why it needed to come back. I think the Millennials and post-Millennials see it as "vintage" or classic. To me it looks like cheapness and evokes an era of inferior plastics and adhesives. The post-WWII era featured a lot of experimentation with materials and as a consequence furniture delaminated, colors faded, and fell apart. I suppose the early experimentation was worthwhile but I find it a forgettable design trend. Yet people who were never born when it was in use "remember" it, and now it sells.

I like simplicity in design, but mostly with natural materials, or with more elegant lines. The simple plastic and metal structure and details of mid-century modernism typically look either utilitarian, or simply cheap to me.

There is no accounting for taste.

Comments

Popular Posts