Skiing



One of my hobbies is snowboarding, and it's very important to me in the long, snowy, cold winters of the high country. It's more than a hobby, it's an exercise regimen, both physical and mental. My personal psychology suffers if I can't get outdoors for more than a week. A gym or treadmill is insufficient for mental health.

The problem is that I hit my limit of risk with snowboarding on the intermediate ski trails. I won't be ready for a black diamond run anytime soon, and considering my age, that might mean never. My solution is to take up skiing. Skis are different from a snowboard in that your feet can move independently. On a snowboard your feet are bound to a single plank. Although there are many similarities between the two sports, control is very different.

I bought some ski boots a couple of weeks ago and rented skis today to try to remember how to ski. I've been skiing exactly twice before, one day in a group lesson, another day independently. To my relief, I seemed to pick up where I left off 5 years ago within a few minutes. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Unfortunately, I lack the muscle fitness so I tired fairly quickly. But I think I will continue with skiing, and I'm in the market for some forgiving, beginner-friendly, all mountain skis. It will keep me fit and occupied for a few more seasons, without having to move up into the truly dangerous terrain.

Comments

Popular Posts