Senescence

Youth vs. Adulthood

I expected aging to involve a degree of physical and mental deterioration that would be uncomfortable, but an aspect I did not expect was the feeling that time is getting away from me. Once I got into my forties I started to feel as though time was flying and I was rushing towards the end of my life like a runaway train. I try not to dwell on it but sometimes I experience an urgency about accomplishing things. There is this realization that there won't be enough time and money to do everything I thought I would or travel to every place I thought I would see.

I suppose I have difficulty living in the present and look to the future too much. I know many people become very happy and complacent with their lives in middle age and accept aging gracefully, but I have yet to get that feeling. I'm not sure it's in my character.

Comments

Popular Posts