Saturday Cooking, Writing, and Walking

I'm surprised that I have persisted this long in dayblogging, but the lock down means there is a lot of time for contemplation, and it's unusually quiet since I live alone. I have often enjoyed writing through long periods of my life and I seem to take small enjoyment from these short and quickly written posts.

Cooking in the morning: breakfast casserole of my own improvisation.
white rice
diced russet potatoes
sliced mushrooms
diced onions
ground beef
Worcestershire
Cayenne powder
eggs
salt
fresh ground black pepper
shredded "mexican cheese" (cheddar, monterey jack, quest quesadilla, asadero)
butter


  • Rice steamed in advance and set aside
  • Potatoes pan fried to near done in advance
  • Mushrooms and onions sautéed together in advance
  • Ground beef browned in advance with salt, pepper, light Cayenne powder, and a dash of Worcestershire
  • Everything added together with more salt and fresh ground pepper
  • Eggs whipped and poured on and stir
  • Oven preheated 350 degrees F - bake about 45 minutes
  • About 1/2 tablespoon of butter put on top and cheese sprinkled on  ~5 minutes before the end


The rice was an experiment that I couldn't say entirely paid off. It broke down and contributed to what I will describe as a cake-like consistency similar to a frittata or quiche. Of course, that isn't entirely a bad thing but not what I was looking for. Perhaps it need not have been pre-steamed all the way.

Hiking this afternoon with the lady at Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Area.


Afterwords I had to go into the office and pick up some computer equipment for working from home. I even loaded my ergonomic desk chair into the car. It was weird in there. Somehow you can tell that nobody has been in there for more than a few minutes for several weeks. I'll set it all up when I go back to work on Tuesday. Yes, I'm taking a long weekend. They have asked us to use PTO every pay period to help the company financially but my morale has been lagging anyway due to loneliness. I was already planning to take a day off. Hospitals that are hard hit by COVID-19 are struggling right now, and we are being hit harder than any other hospital in Arizona. It's a humanitarian tragedy but we are doing what we can.

Fear naught.

Comments

Popular Posts